The Rockies are within the hunt for his or her second consecutive playoff look. Right here’s a take a look at how they’ll find yourself within the postseason:
Win the Nationwide League West
The Rockies can safe a playoff spot — and their first division pennant in franchise historical past — by outright profitable the Nationwide League West, which they’ve by no means executed.
What in the event that they tie with the Dodgers?
A one-game tiebreaker would happen Monday, Oct. 1. The sport would happen in Los Angeles because the Dodgers received the head-to-head collection this season (12-7).
NL West standings
|Los Angeles Dodgers||88||69||.561||–|
Earn a wild-card spot
For the Rockies to safe one of many two wild-card spots, they must lose the division to the Dodgers and find yourself with one of many prime information amongst non-division-winning NL groups.
Tiebreakers for home-field benefit in wild-card or play-in sport
- St. Louis Cardinals: St. Louis received the head-to-head matchups with a 5-2 edge over Colorado.
- Milwaukee Brewers: Milwaukee received the head-to-head matchups with a 5-2 edge over Colorado.
- Chicago Cubs: Chicago and Colorado tied 3-3. Within the second tiebreaker (highest profitable proportion in intradivision video games), Colorado would win with a 41-35 file in comparison with Chicago, which might be — at greatest — 38-38).
What if there’s a two-team tie for the primary wild-card spot?
The crew with the higher common season head-to-head file would get home-field benefit within the wild-card sport. The Rockies would lose all tie-breakers, to the Cardinals (2-5), Brewers (2-5) and Cubs (3-3).
What if there’s a two-team tie for the second wild-card spot?
The groups would play Oct. 1 for the ultimate spot. The crew with the higher head-to-head file would get home-field benefit. The wild-card sport would then be performed Oct. 3.
What if there’s a three-team tie for the primary wild-card spot?
Every of the three groups (A, B and C) would select a designation (for an in depth clarification of how that occurs, MLB.com does its greatest to clarify right here). Crew B and crew C would play on Oct. 1. The winner faces crew A within the wild-card sport Oct. 3.
What if there’s a three-team tie for the second wild-card spot?
Similar to above, however the winner of the Oct. 1 sport faces crew A for the second wild-card spot on Oct. 2.
What if there’s a four-way tie (Dodgers, Rockies, Brewers and Cardinals)?
- Oct. 1: The Rockies would journey to Los Angeles to play the Dodgers for the NL West title. The Brewers would play the Cardinals (location TBD) for one wild-card spot.
- Oct. 2: The loser of the Rockies-Dodgers sport would face the loser of the Brewers-Cardinals sport for the second wild-card spot.
- Oct. 3: NL wild-card sport.
|St. Louis Cardinals||87||70||.554||–|